If you've been following me on Instagram lately, you've seen that Nick and I have been doing the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). SCD is a diet that eliminates complex carbohydrates from the diet as they are very difficult to digest, hence, SCD is wonderful for helping to treat digestive disorders. While I don't necessarily suffer from this, Nick does, so I hopped on the bandwagon to help him and also to cut sugar and white carbs out of my own diet. We already eat a diet high in protein and veggies, but eliminating carbs, grains, sugar, legumes, etc. hasn't been a walk in the park, that's for sure.
As a result, I'm always on the hunt for any type of "bread" recipes, since there is absolutely nothing you can buy in the store while on this diet. All store bought breads have some type of rice flour, gum, potato starch, arrowroot starch, etc. So, I stumbled across this lemon blueberry bread while googling SCD compliant recipes, and immediately decided to try it. It has very few ingredients and is super simple to throw together.
It's almost sugar free (we do add some raw, organic honey since that is allowed in moderation), full of dietary fiber, and loaded with protein as well. I used blueberries because they are my favorite, but you could sub raspberries or pretty much any kind of berry you want in this. I think doing both blueberries and raspberries would be a fun twist! I made this for a second time last night, so I just had to post the recipe on the blog since we love it so much.
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 large organic/pastured eggs
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/4 cup (or less) organic raw honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond, cashew or coconut milk
- Juice from 1 full lemon
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest (estimated, this doesn't need to be exact)
- 1-2 cups blueberries (also an estimate - however many you prefer)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with some type of oil or butter. I used ghee to grease our pan.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs vigorously. Add milk, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest to eggs and continue to whisk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the blueberries very gently - they squish easily!
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from pan and enjoying!