Calling all procrastinators! It's Christmas Eve, and you still need to get a gift for that special someone in your life. There is no more time to order things online and have them arrive in time for Christmas, so your only option now is to shop in store itself. What better than shopping local and supporting the Columbus, OH businesses? I've rounded up my favorite retailers, which include the best clothing and accessories shops, home goods stores, as well as some fun edible options. Read on for some great last minute ideas (even if you're only looking for stocking stuffers)... and get shopping, because today is your LAST CHANCE!
For the Clothes Horse
1. Rowe Boutique: One of my favorite clothing stores in Columbus. They carry almost all of my favorite designers (Rory Beca, Cynthia Vincent, Parker, Rails...), some gorgeous jewelry pieces, bags, accessories, and even shoes! They also have some great sales - probably not right now, but something to keep in mind for after the holiday.
2. Substance: If you're looking for the perfect scarf, Substance is the place to go. They have the biggest variety of scarves (and best priced) in the Short North by far. Make sure you also visit the upstairs section - they feature many local artists and designers.
3. Homage: Looking for something for that OSU fan in your life? Homage is the perfect place to pick up a cozy vintage OSU tee, sweatshirt, and more. They also carry other local Ohio schools and popular college and pro teams. Definitely the best tees around.
4. Thread: Thread is another women's clothing retailer. They carry some pretty great pieces (similar to Rowe) and also a local jewelry line called Pluma Jewelry that has the most beautiful stone necklaces and rings. Thread has two locations, one in Dublin and one Grandview.
5. High Street Denim: If you're looking to find the perfect pair of jeans, this is your place. They stock some of my favorite denim lines, including DL1961. They also have great tops and dresses too, and are located right across from Rowe & Ladybird, so you can get all your shopping done for the ladies in one trip!
6. American Apparel: I know, this isn't exactly a local/small business, but American Apparel is great for some basic pieces for any man or woman in your life. I'd snag one of their leather pouches as a gift for someone for sure. They also have some super cute doggie clothing...
7. Tigertree: Tigertree is a mens, womens, and accessories store. They carry a little bit of everything, including some great footwear and outerwear. Reasonably priced also!
8. Fringe: I've never actually visited Fringe, but if you're looking for a unique tee for someone, this place has some pretty cool designs.
9. Ladybird: Located right next to Rowe, this is another one of my favorite shops. It's small, but it's got some adorable things. My favorites are their monogrammed totes and Ladybird leather envelope clutches.
For the Home
1. Elm & Iron: All I can say about this store is that it is legit the coolest home goods store I've ever been in. I went for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm obsessed. They have one of a kind items - candles, signs, pillows, flasks, home decor, lamps, old vintage pieces.. and the list goes on and on. My favorite piece in the whole store was a delicate gold, marble topped coffee table... Sounds just about perfect, right?
2. Grandview Mercantile: An oldie but goodie. If you've never been to this place, it's time. Even though you wouldn't be getting something absolutely brand new, you would be getting someone a one of a kind piece that they would have forever. Oh, and they have vintage Hermes and Chanel items also...
3. Vernacular: This store is pretty new and not too well known yet, but it's definitely a hidden gem. They have some super cool throws, pillows and home decor, and even carry some apparel (big chunky knits and jersey tees). Worth checking out, and it's in the heart of beautiful German Village.
4. Caterina: Extremely colorful and beautiful dish ware and fabrics. Enough said.
5. Happy Go Lucky Home: This store has a little bit of everything, from upholstered furniture, to wall art, to jewelry... you name it. Their upholstered furniture is super unique and one of a kind.
6. Bink Davies: I wouldn't exactly call this a home goods store. It's more of an everything and anything store. It's absolutely perfect if you're looking for a gift on the humorous side. There are a lot of Ohio and Columbus themed pieces here also.
7. The Candle Lab: The best candles in Columbus. Period. Oh, and the home made, all natural body scrub isn't too bad either.
8. Bungalow Home: Very "Restoration Hardware" style furniture at a better price. They have such cool, pretty pieces. Their jewelry collection is a hidden treasure - they have these gorgeous thick wrap leather bracelets that make the most perfect, affordable gift.
9. Aesthetic: I've actually never been here either, but it looks cool as hell. They have a carefully curated collection of home accessories and decor. I'm dying for one of their funky candles too.
For the Foodie
1. The North Market: This is your go-to place for the all the local vendors and the best foods in Columbus. They have absolutely everything - meats, juices, spices, ice cream, precooked meals, organic selections, the green grocer, cook wear, sea food... Literally, you name it, they have it.
2. Jenis: Best ice cream in the world. Not kidding. I'm sure if you're local, you've had this. Either way, it's a great gift idea. They have the Splendid Holiday Pint Collection (3 different holiday flavors), which would make the perfect gift for anyone.
3. Three Dog Bakery: We all have that friend that is obsessed with their dog, or you could just be shopping for your own, don't deny it! I know we all do Christmas for our furry friends. Three Dog Bakery has the perfect treats for your pup.
4. The Suisse Shop: Definition of heavenly baked goods. This shop is a bit of a drive if you live downtown, but it's definitely worth it. Keep in mind that they also won "Best Cake Bakery" in Columbus for the 4th year in a row.
5. Green Olive: I live right next door to this place, and loveeee it. They have tons of different flavored oils and balsamics, plus you can taste every single one with their homemade bread. You can buy a little combo pack with one balsamic and one oil for 12 dollars. It's a great little stocking stuffer!
6. Le Chocoholique: Chocolate everything and anything. Don't be afraid to grab a chocolate martini during your visit.. hey, buzzed shopping is perfectly acceptable.
*all images via the store websites
Happy shopping fellow Columbus friends, and Merry Christmas!