Raise your hand if you're in favor of chewy cookies vs. crunchy cookies! Good. Because I found the recipe for the PERFECTLY chewy, delicious, sweet yet salty, paleo chocolate chip cookie. And I'm even going to claim that these are better than the original flour, butter, crisco, filled chocolate chip cookies that your grandma made. Yea, they're THAT good.
My pictures aren't all that great because I made these at night and took the photos immediately since I was so excited, but trust me, they taste 100 times better than they look. Plus, I have to add of course, that they're grain free, refined sugar free, gluten free, paleo, and all that jazz. I just cannot get over how good they tasted either - blew me away!
As you can see, it's been a while since I've baked cookies, and I forgot the whole "make sure you leave space between each blob you place on the tray", but even though I pretty much baked one large cookie, they still tasted just as delicious.
And guys, these are simple to make. I promise. You will need to have a good amount of almond butter, paleo flours (I ALWAYS have coconut and almond flours in my pantry) and of course chocolate chips on hand, but those are things you should be keeping in your pantry anyway! I mean, who can live without almond butter and chocolate chips!? I chose this dark chocolate option from my favorite Thrive Market, but you can grab any brand you'd like. I actually get ALL my baking ingredients from Thrive, but I provided some other great alternatives from Amazon below too, especially if you've got that Amazon prime membership like I do.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter (room temperature). Coconut oil should be a softened butter consistency - not liquid. Throw it in the fridge for a bit if it is.
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp almond butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 cup (or more) chocolate chips (I use the Thrive Market brand)
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir all the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda & salt) together in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer in a larger bowl, beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar for about 1 minute. If you don't have an electric mixer, you could use your hands, but it needs to be mixed very well.
- Add the almond butter and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients, and mix until well combined. Add the egg and beat for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour mixture until everything is mixed well and forms a dough like texture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into small balls and place on the baking sheet. Press down slightly with your hand. You can also add more chocolate chips to the tops of the balls.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are nicely browned and the surface no longer appears wet.
- Let cool completely before storing!