The other day I grabbed some random ingredients from my fridge/pantry, threw them in a bowl, and ended up making the best salad I've ever made. So of course, I had to share this super simple and delicious recipe with you guys. Let me preface this by saying that this is a seriously basic salad... You can dress it up, dress it down, switch up the ingredients, and pretty much do whatever you want with it to make it to your liking though. You guys are going to LOVE this salad and how easy it is to make.
I love using arugula, because it's so fresh, light, and has such an incredible taste. Throw a little parmesan cheese and avocado on top and dress it with my favorite homemade lemon olive oil dressing (recipe below), and you have a delicious salad. I added some lentils and of course topped it with a couple fried eggs, which just brought it to the next level.
I frequently cook a large batch of something like lentils or quinoa and store it in the fridge so that I can add it to meals or throw it on top of a salad like I did here. I always make sure to get my protein in (2 eggs just doesn't do it for lunch), and lentils are an excellent source of protein. The cheese on the other hand, is totally optional especially if you can't do dairy. I can tolerate dairy (luckily), so I love to add cheese to the occasional meal for a little extra flavor. Nutritional yeast is a great alternative option if you can't do cheese though.
As for the dressing, it is so incredibly simple and one that I make for most of my salads. You can make an extra big batch (which I recommend), and keep it in the fridge to use at later dates. Recipe below!
Ingredients for salad:
- Bag of organic arugula
- Half avocado
- 1/2 cup cooked sprouted lentils
- Pinch of shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 organic, pasture raised eggs
Ingredients for dressing:
- Juice from 1 full lemon
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the dressing, throw all the ingredients in the bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Wash the arugula and put into a large salad bowl. Top with shredded parmesan cheese, cooked lentils, and diced avocado.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad and toss to mix.
- If you want to add the eggs, my favorite way to cook them for the top of a salad is fried (crispy fried). To do so, heat olive or coconut oil in a pan on high until it is almost smoking (key word, almost). Add the eggs to the pan and let them sizzle for a little bit. Once they are almost cooked through, turn the heat off and let them continue to cook until they are no longer runny on top. You can also flip them and cook the other side for a few seconds if you'd like.