Yes, this is as good as it looks. And yes, it's also decently healthy (aside from the chocolate part). This is my dark chocolate chip zucchini banana bread, and it's gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and absolutely delicious - even for breakfast if you feel so inclined. I make my regular banana bread so darn often that I decided I needed to try something new this time around. And although it's not as amazing as my original banana bread, this version is a great twist on the original recipe.
Zucchini is super high in fiber and low in calories, making it a great food to incorporate into any recipe. It's also rich in potassium, just like bananas, so you're really getting your fill with this recipe. I used coconut flour, as usual, which is also super high in fiber and even better, low in carbs. But really, how good is this recipe!? This bread is also sweetened naturally (aside from the chocolate chips which are totally optional), and fulfills my constant dessert craving that I have throughout the day. Luckily, I don't feel guilty snacking on this one, which is exactly why I make recipes like this!
- 1 cup organic shredded zucchini, or about 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed up
- 6 organic eggs
- 3 tbsp REAL maple syrup, or raw honey
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan)
- 1/2 to 1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional, depending on your preference)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the shredded zucchini either in a paper towel or dish towel.
- Throw everything together in a food processor (minus the chocolate chips) on low until well mixed.
- Fold in about 2/3 of the chocolate chips to the mixture.
- Pour mixture in to a greased (I used ghee), 8x8 pan, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and you can insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.